Miscellaneous delights of the fatigue testing programme
It just wouldn't be the same without:
- clanking fatigue-machines and seeing why R=0.1 for like-for-like longitudinal tensile fatigue tests
- hoses lashing to the cycles and lashing-them-up with blue rope
- fatigue biting into the sample-mounting fitments - oops!
- oil-leaks and mopping them up
- dodgy maths working out F_mean and F_ampl for R=0.1 and your desired S_r
- negotiating machine time...
- over-riding the "only a moment longer, it's within a fraction of breaking" feeling when end of Friday rolls in
- so much excellent relevant guiding literature on fatigue and only 24hrs in a day and human limits for reading it